My philosophy is that every celebration should include interesting and memorable details. This however, does not mean it has to be complicated, or expensive. Often, the most memorable party favor, table décor, or original presentation, is by taking regular household items and transforming them into an unforgettable memento that will remain with the guests long after the party is over. A couple of years ago, I did a Chanukah party setup for Mishpacha Magazine. Included in it was the following idea for Chanukah themed napkin rings. All it is, is pennies… but the décor, is priceless
What you will need:
- Copper spray paint (available in any home improvement or craft store)
- Empty paper towel roll
- Shiny Pennies
- Hot glue gun
- Begin by spraying the paper towel roll with spray paint, covering the entire surface.
- After roll is completely dry, take a ruler and place marks along the entire roll in ½” intervals
- Using a sharp scissor carefully cut even ½” rings from the roll.
- Attach pennies to the rings with a glue gun. (The number of pennies you will use depends on how close you place them one to the other. You can place the pennies on just the top part, or around the entire ring.)
- Fold your napkins and slip them into the rings.
Variation: If you don’t want to use spray paint, glue a ribbon around the ring instead, and attach the pennies to the ribbon.
Idea: Make a half dozen or a dozen of the rings, pack them up in a pretty box, and send them over to a friend – they make a great inexpensive, homemade gift